Vanessa’s Dumplings is one of my favorite places to go in
New York.
I insist that I get to go once every 2 weeks – otherwise, I go
through dumpling withdrawal.
Why should you go here?
Crazy cheap.
Tasty.
Filling.
Tasty.
Filling.
It is always mad busy = great sign. It is extremely
affordable. For 2 people, you can get a ton of food for under $10. They make
the dumplings, soups, buns and pancake sandwiches right in front of you in a
open kitchen (very exciting / fun / entertaining).
If you’re in the
city, here are some tips on how to survive this crazy-loud yet lovable spot:
1) Look at the menu outside & decide what you want
before going in. Get to the counter & order quickly. You may need to shout.
2) Have money ready, pay and hang on to your receipt.
3) Shuffle down to the counter and watch in awe as the dumpling ladies move methodically while cooking.
2) Have money ready, pay and hang on to your receipt.
3) Shuffle down to the counter and watch in awe as the dumpling ladies move methodically while cooking.
4) Listen carefully for your receipt number & hand your receipt
to a dumpling lady when you hear it.
5) Get it to go. Ask for extra hot sauce.
5) Get it to go. Ask for extra hot sauce.
6) Go home & enjoy over a movie.
My favorite thing on the menu – boiled veggie dumplings.
(Extra hot sauce please). These are filled with mushroom, little pieces of
tofu, hoisin sauce, carrot, onions and scallions. You can get these guys in
soup or on a plate.
| hot & sour soup w/ veggie dumplings - under $5. unbelievable enjoyment - priceless |
![]() |
| in soup |
![]() | ||
| Veggie bun!!! (photo from flickr) |
| BF's pork buns (teehee) |
If you go, you should probably get one too…. And a hot &
sour soup!
I hope you’re having a good week. This is a short work week
for me – unfortunately it is going sloooooooowly. I just want it to be EOD
Wednesday!
Have you had
dumplings before? What did you think?


Love dumplings! My favorite are the ones from the health food store - Ling Ling brand - http://fresh.amazon.com/product?asin=B00113YT98
ReplyDeleteI can't get Amazon groceries in OK but I like to keep a couple of bags of dumplings in the freezer for when the craving hits. Love to serve with brown rice and a sauce of soy/onion/tomato (you can add sriachi sauce too).
Happy Thanksgiving!
Oh I would so love to visit NYC one day! I've only ever driven through there in a cab (haha connecting from JFK to LaGuardia)...never had time to get out and see the city! I will one day for sure and then your blog will be like my (food) travel guide x
ReplyDeleteI love the NYC recommendations! I also LOVE nyc - one of my friends has just moved for a few months, and we are moving to Cali for a few months in March, SO I'm hoping we will have the chance to pass through! I last visited 5 years ago and was determined to call it home one day - maybe one day! Were you from more rural canada or another city!? Oh an I prob need to give dumplings a try. Never have... just been put off by the appearance! xox
ReplyDeletei have never in my life experienced a dumpling. in fact, i never quite knew what one looked like until viewing these photographs! thank you for the dumpling education! x
ReplyDeleteThese look wonderful. I Think the only dumpling I've had is that found in won ton soup (does that even count?!).
ReplyDeleteThis week was very short for me too, and it went super slow because I Was so excited to be finished! I worked Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, now I'm off!
I hope today ends quickly for you, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.