Wednesday, October 26, 2011

White Ruffy with Mushroom & Onion

Hi Everyone!  Happy Wednesday!

On Monday night I made dinner with the BF and as usual, it was super fun! I love making dinner together because we get to try new food and experiment in the kitchen while spending some quality alone time together. Also, wine is often (if not always) involved.

On the menu:
  • Frozen White Ruffy from Trader Joes – I had never ever heard of this before. It was pretty inexpensive so I bought a bag. It came with 3 medium sized pieces (we ended up eating 2, but cooking all 3).
  • Mushrooms & onions
  • Tomato
  • White rice mixed with hot sauce, mushrooms & onions 
  • Pinot Noir

dice and cook with water, Worcestershire sauce, a spoon of white flour to
thicken it, maple syrup, s&p, and a bit of extra virgin olive oil
set aside
spray a nonstick pan with olive oil

add some spices - i used this fish magic one that BF had
once cooked, top with your mushroom mixture & let it sit on the heat for a few minutes
we had this with sliced tomato & rice mixed with the leftover mushroom / onion

Yummy stuff! The mushroom & onion mixture ended up tasting like gravy which was pretty awesome! I don't think that I would buy white ruffy again, it was a bit fatty and well, ruff for my liking. I much prefer the lighter taste of tilapia!

Last night I went to yoga again and it was incredible. Some of the full body twists felt like I was getting a deep tissue massage and I left the studio feeling like a million bucks. So glad I decided to try to get back into practicing regularly!

On my way home I bought these guys for $1 each. 

Can you help me decide what to do with them?! 

I never ever buy eggplant so I'm not sure where to start & I'd like to incorporate the zucchini in a fun and exciting way. I'll take any & all ideas :)

Later!
-Caitlin

7 comments:

  1. Ratatouille is my first thought. I made something similar by just layering slices of eggplant, squash and zucchini with tomatoes and cheese and basil. Can't wait to see what you create... I can almost smell it now!

    P.S. I cannnot watch that movie (don't even want to type it on your blog) all the way through and I don't know why I even try. Why do people like to scare themselves? Last time I had to cover my eyes and ears through the very scary stuff and the electricity flickered and I was spared. I'm thinking maybe I should probably find a better use of that free time, like yoga again...that was much better for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had white roughy, only orange (although, it's not orange, it's white!). I love cooking with Nick, but it rarely happens because our kitchen is so small.

    I would make a healthier eggplant parmesan, like this
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/eatingwells_eggplant_parmesan.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm currently drinking pinot noir in pittsburgh! it's fabulous!
    and the zucchini? someone recently recommended that i grate it, using a hand grater, making long spaghetti-like strands, turning it into zucchini spaghetti! i plan to call it zucchanetti. that's a future blog entry. :)
    your meal looks scrumptious! i just fetched sushi, and it's waiting in the fridge until i'm ready for dinner! until then, i shall be fine with wine! that rhymed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tilapia, but I have a hard time cooking it. It always falls apart. I'm a huge fan of fatty fish, but I tend to go for pink fish: salmon, trout. Ruffy probably won't make it into my shopping cart next week. Thanks for sharing the mushroom gravy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo there's so much you can do with eggplant. I have a couple of recipes on my blog, stuffed eggplant being one of my favs! A little time consuming but sooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What on earth is a ruffy?! *perplexed Australian*

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.