Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What a Souper Day!


First, I need to give a very thankful shout out to Aly of It’s Been Real! Today I found out that I am the lucky winner of a $100 AmEx gift card!! Back in September, I entered Aly’s contest by letting her know my favorite 6 ingredient recipe. Check out Aly’s yummy vegan treats and learn about my winning recipe here http://www.itsbeenreal.net  Thanks Aly!!

Secondly, I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who responded to To Cleanse, Or Not To Cleanse! I really appreciate your input on the need and risk associated with cleanses. Considering I have a hard time avoiding carbs, I will not be doing a cleanse any time soon J

Now, let’s talk broccoli. This is a vegetable I always enjoy, but often forget about. Last night, in an effort to eat more greens, I made a huge pot of light broccoli soup. When I was little, my mom used to tell me, “Caitlin, trim the trees!!” and I would gobble up broccoli like a starving rabbit. Sexy, no? These mini green trees are high in vitamin C, folic acid, contains potassium & calcium AND is quite rich in fiber. What’s not to love?

What you need:
  • 3 medium potatoes
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 giant bushels of fresh broccoli
  • 2 cubes of low sodium vegetable bouillon
  • ½ a white onion
  • ¾ a liter of 1% milk
  • Some water
  • A great big pot
trust me, your apartment will smell very home-y

 

Chop n boil broccoli and potatoes
meanwhile, saute onions garlic
throw the boiled potatoes in the food processor until it looks like icing.
then put the broccoli in the food processor until it is in itty bitty pieces (not pureed)
Put all of the veggie ingredients in your great big pot, turn on the burner to medium heat. Gradually add water until the soup is slightly thicker than the consistency you prefer. Add bouillon cubes. Simmer with a lid on for about 45 minutes. Take the lid off, turn down the heat to low and add your milk. Add black pepper & serve.
 

Have a great night :)

ps - Enjoy some cute paws:

5 comments:

  1. I really need a food processor in my life to make delicious recipes like this! Will def be something we register for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "until it looks like icing" - love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo, potato icing... mmm you might be on to something there! The broccoli makes it such a beautiful colour + your food processer is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, you made me forget for a second there that I consider myself a dog person! ;)

    P.S. I once made a cake using mashed potato and it was so good, but sadly pre-blog and I can't find the recipe anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! I love that, "trim the trees"! I'll have to use that one with my kids :) We eat so much broccoli in this house, it's unreal. I think we go through about 3 heads a WEEK! Yep, just NIck and I. We will turn into broccoli one day, just watch.
    Thanks for the great soup recipe! I've only made broccoli soup once, but I'll definitely try it again one day.

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.