Thursday, October 27, 2011

Eggplant + Zucchini Asiago Bake

Hi Everyone!

I hope you're all having a good week!

Yesterday, I asked for ideas on how to prepare an eggplant and a zucchini that I picked up from a street vendor. These are 2 vegetables that I almost never had growing up. Thus, I had no idea how to prepare them except to stir fry. 


A huge thanks to Gina; The Candid RD who inspired me to attempt my very first egglplant + zucchini parmesan! From her advice, I roughly followed a recipe from Eating Well, tweaking it based on what I had at home already.

Here is what I did. 

My Ingredients

  • 3/4 of 1 eggplant
  • 3/4 of a green zucchini
  • 2 eggs
  • A handful of my roommate's multigrain crackers, blended in the magic bullet
  • A handful of grated asiago cheese (I didn't have any parm!)
  •  pepper + oregano
  • 1/2 a jar of tomato basil pasta sauce
  • A handful of shredded montery jack - cheddar mix from Gristedes

How I did it

1) Preheat oven to 400.
2) Slice the eggplant & zucchini into disks.  
3) Whip the 2 eggs in a bowl with a fork or whisk. In another bowl, mix the cracker crumbs with the asiago.




.
please don't judge the stained cookie sheet :)
4) Dip each veggie disk in the eggs, then in the crumby-cheese mixture. Place on a cooking spray covered cookie sheet.

5) Bake for 15 minutes, flip them, bake for another 15 minutes. They should look like this:

6) In a square baking dish, pour in a layer of tomato sauce & add pepper / oregano.Layer the baked zucchini and eggplant on top of the sauce. Add more sauce and some cheese, then add another layer of baked veggies. Top with more sauce & spices.



7) Top with the rest of the cheese & bake for 15-20 minutes.The cheese should be bubbly / melty.

8) Enjoy!

It was pretty easy & turned out really well. I brought this for lunch today & will likely make this again!!

Tonight I am going to get a Halloween costume. Actually , 2 costumes - one for work & one for this weekend. Still unsure about what I'll be for the weekend!

Are you dressing up this year? Does your office have a Halloween party?




8 comments:

  1. I loooooove eggplant and I think asiago is my favorite cheese. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy and I imagine it tasted so good! My office doesn't do the dress up thing. I might be more inspired to dress up if they did. Maybe I should show up to work in a costume Monday? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. true confession: Ive never ever eaten eggplant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked the recipe!! It looks amazing. Now you can officially say you've cooked with zucchini and eggplant :)

    I'm not dressing up this year...in fact Nick and I never dress up for Halloween. It's hard to do Halloween parties when you work on the weekends. Bummer. If I did dress up, I'd probably be Dorothy because I still have a costume from college that was not cheap, and I only wore it once! And, it was warm :) No SEXY Dorothy or anything.
    Have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks fabulous, and i'm hereby inspired to find comparable ingredients at trader joe's during this afternoon's shopping trip (imagine shopping whilst constantly staring out of the window, ensuring that your puggle is safe and healthy in the car! ~ people think that i'm crazy!). i hope to make a cute entry later, based upon yours! halloween? i'm not dressing up . . . but the puggle is certainly planning a risque costume! check back at my blog on monday for an update! ;) happy halloween, fabulous girlfriend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good...good call on the asiago bake! I'm not dressing up for halloween. I'm going to hide in the basement, comfort the dog and watch zombie movies. But I am making a costume for another event in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I've never been interested in eggplant, but this cheesy cheesy version looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.