Monday, June 25, 2012

Pineapple Fried Rice

Happy Monday!

This weekend flew by! On Friday night I just stayed in with BF and we ate leftover Mediterranean food while watching  Workaholics (great show, check it out if you like ridiculous humor!). 

On Saturday, I went out to Hotel Chantelle for a friend's birthday. This place is great - it has a gorgeous rooftop (where we ate dinner), a bumpin ground floor with loud music and a loud, grimey basement perfect for dancing and sweating profusely - all tied together with a cool crowd. Overall, an awesome place :)

Tonight I decided to use up some of the random food I had at my apartment and make pineapple fried rice! it turned out really well and I made enough for lunches the rest of the week! Score!

I used: 
  • long grain brown rice
  • 3 brown eggs
  • vegetable broth to cook the rice in
  • trader joes teriyaki baked tofu
  • trader joes soyaki sauce (the best!)
  • frozen mixed peppers
  • frozen green beans broken into little pieces
  • chopped walnuts
  • red chili flakes
  • garlic salt
  • 1 can of pineapple chunks in 100% juice
  • the juice from the pineapple
  • white onion
  • 2 pieces of fresh garlic
  • garlic olive oil

this stuff takes FOREVERRRR to cook but has a great texture
Tofu chopped into cubes, diced onion, chopped walnuts and of course, garlic!
After prepping the above, I did the following:
  1. Before cooking other ingredients, I started the brown rice in a pot with vegetable broth. I really like this brand but it takes almost an hour to cook. So annoying but worth it.
  2. Once the rice was almost finished I started by browning the onion & garlic in the garlic olive oil.
  3. Added my frozen vegetables until they were a little burnt. 
  4. Added the 3 eggs and let them cook. 
  5. Add chopped walnuts & tofu until browned. Sprinkle with garlic salt and set aside
  6. Opened the can of pineapple chunks (hate that word) and poured the juice into a glass. Drank half :)
  7. Poured a bit of soyaki sauce and pineapple juice both into the rice and into the egg & veggie mixture.
  8. Browned the pineapple
  9. Add it all together and top with chili flakes & garlic salt et voila!


Dinner for 1 plz :)
This was really, really good. 

 Since this is packed with protein and good for you grains, it makes a balanced meal. I was full after eating about a cup of this creation! Obviously if you're going to do something similar, you can sub tofu for something else and eliminate nuts / garlic if needed. I rarely follow recipes so I'm not sure what amounts of each ingredient I actually used and will likely never be able to replicate it haha.

What are some of your go-to meals when you're trying to clear your fridge? Do you follow recipes? I have a couple cans of beets if anyone has suggestions :)

7 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm absolutely drooling at the photograph of your pineapple rice. Just thought you should know that you have officially made me hungry! nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I now seriously want pineapple and rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pineapple and this looks great and I'm sure it must be just what you needed after a hectic weekend and while you're still recovering from having your wisdom teeth out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, caramelised pineapple looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM - I love putting pineapple in savoury dishes like stir fry, curry etc - so so GOOD :) Love it on pizza too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious - I'm definitely adding pineapple next time
    I make fried rice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! May I suggest something? Maybe next time you'd want to try using basmathi rice (or brown basmathi rice if you prefer brown rice) instead of regular rice. This is because basmathi rice is less starchy and therefore better to use for fried rice. Also let the rice cooled down, preferably overnight in the fridge before you make fried rice to avoid having a mushy fried rice. Good luck!

    Btw, thank you for visiting my blog and liking my cheesy garlic biscuit. :)

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.