Sunday, June 17, 2012

Got Any Snax?

A confession: I can't be trusted with snacks. 

An open bag of crackers? I go to town until I have to have the bag moved far, far away. Any type of snacky chip or crunchy thing? Unstoppable. Don't even get me started on nachos. I am a self admitted snack monster. Why? I think it is because they're so much more fun than a regular meal, they come in pretty packaging AND there are so many different kinds. 

On the odd occasion that I decide that I'm feeling in control and need a cool snack, I make sure to:
1) split with a friend, preferably BF
2) make sure they're really good snacks

The other day, BF and I went to a local Bodega near his apartment to prepare for a rainy day / night watching movies. 

When picking out snacks, I try to get things that tastes awesome, are new and things that I can justify as "kind of healthy". Here are some of the cool items we picked up:
Chilli lime Popchips (love) & vegan jerky
+ Parmesan Thin Crisp Triscuits and Jalapeno Tribe Hummus

Popchips are one of my new addictions. My favorite flavors are BBQ and Salt & Vinegar - this kind wasn't too exciting compared to some of the others BUT dunked in hummus, they were pretty good!

The stars of the show? The vegan jerky!

I had never had these fun little pieces of vegan jerky by Stonewall's. They were only $2.99 each and I just had to have them. I picked out 2 flavors: "Spicy 'Chicken'" and "Country Bacon". I really liked both of these, they had very different flavors and textures. The bacon flavored jerky was super smokey and very tough. The chicken flavor was spongier and had a juicier texture; in terms of taste it was nothing like soy chicken that I have had before.

BF hated them - he tried the chicken jerky and actually spit it out. Note, BF is a BBQ loving boy :) BUT I really liked them!

Here is what they looked like:

You can get these on Amazon if you can't find them at stores near you. They would make a great afternoon snack at work.

I got my wisdom teeth out on Friday so I haven't been eating many solid foods! Today I was able to have some mashed potatoes and was pretty stoked about that!

What are some of your favorite snacks?

Have you gotten your wisdom teeth pulled? How did it go?

3 comments:

  1. I really do love snack foods. I know they're no match for fresh, whole foods, but they are so fun! This selection looks great :)

    Sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth - I hope your mouth feels better soon! I had mine out when I was 16 and because I have super pale skin, I looked very bruised for about a week :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! i have been lucky with bruising - just some faint splotches. its definitely not the most fun experience :(

      Delete
  2. I had one impacted wisdom tooth out when I was in my early 20's. I was brave/foolish within the first day or so and ate solid foods too early and ended up with that awful dry socket. No amount of painkillers could touch that pain. I healed up fairly quickly after getting that repacked...thankfully the memories have faded... ;.)

    W.r.t. snacking: I got a bag of the jalapeno cheetos off the food truck a couple of weeks ago and could not stop eating until the bag was empty. Luckily it was a small bag! I like to eat 1-2 apples per day and feel off if I don't get too. Another favorite is anything with Nutella. As you can see, my snack tastes vary...as I imagine most people's do. I go through phases...

    Oooh, something that sounds good that I haven't had in a while is pita chips with roasted red pepper dip...will have to put that on the list. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.