When I was in Australia about 2 years ago, my best friend & I created this delicious cake. We came across Candlenuts in the Woolworth grocery store while we were staying in the Daintree. They were the same texture as macadamia nuts, but bitter.
Candlenut trees are native to the tropical northern rainforests of
Australia, the Moluccas Islands, Malaysia, and are found on many islands
in the South Pacific. Roasted slivers or shavings of candle nut have a pleasing, nutty,
almond-like flavor without the background bitterness characteristic of
almonds. Source
You can buy them online and at some specialty grocery stores.
 |
| correction: roasted candlenuts. Click to enlarge |
 |
| lots of good stuff going on in this picture :) |
 |
| the beautiful house we stayed at called Hawlyn |
Have a great weekend!
I've never had a candlenut, but what a fabulous reason to get started! Looks great!
ReplyDeleteThat house is gorgeous - I love the open kitchen!
ReplyDelete